The Trail of Lights is a treasured Austin tradition that delights thousands of children and adults alike during the holiday season. Since the event is held in Zilker Park and involves nightly closure of Barton Springs Road from Dec. 7 through Dec. 22, it impacts our neighborhood significantly. The City has worked closely with our Neighborhood Association to address concerns including neighborhood parking, access to the Park and Barton Springs pool, and increased traffic on our residential streets.
The City has provided us with a wealth of information included below to help you prepare for the Trail of Lights.
- Dec. 6, 7-10 PM – Preview Night, no road closures
- Dec. 7, 6:30-9 PM - 5K Run, road closures begin at 3 PM, end at 11 PM
- Dec. 8, 6:30-10 PM – Opening Night, road closures begin at 3 PM, end at 11 PM
- Dec. 9-12, 7-10 PM – Trail Nights, road closures begin at 5:45 PM, end at 11 PM
- Dec. 13-15, 6:30-10 PM – Trail Nights, road closures begin at 5:30 PM, end at 11 PM
- Dec. 16-19, 7-10 PM – Trail Nights, road closures begin at 5:45 PM, end at 11 PM
- Dec. 20-22, 6:30-10 PM – Trail Nights, road closures begin at 5:30 PM, end at 11 PM
- Barton Springs Road – Mopac to Lamar
- Stratford Road – Barton Springs to Mopac
- 5:45 pm start time (first trip to park)
- 9 pm end time (last trip to park)
- 11 pm end time (last trip to garages/parking)
- Republic, Krieg Fields, Waterloo (pending), Burger Center (Saturday/Sunday only)
- 6 officers and 1 sergeant – roving 10 am until approximately 11 pm daily. This dedicated unit will be roving and responding to issues/concerns throughout the impacted neighborhoods.
Neighborhood Call-In Line
- Call-In Line: 512-970-8891 approximately 6pm –10:30pm nightly.
- NO PARKING SIGNAGE will be installed Monday December 2 due to the increase in restricted parking areas, as well as allowing for time for corrections prior to the event commencing.
- These signs are valid upon installation, PLEASE ADHERE TO THE SIGNAGE.
- The restricted parking area signage will stay UP and remain valid during this time period.
- On site parking can be purchased online only and not on site. There will be a limited number available each night and the permits must be presented prior to entering the parking area.
Traffic Control Maps
- Trail of Lights 5K – December 7
- Trail of Lights Festival – December 8 – 22
- Trail of Lights Restricted Parking – December 2 – 23
Examples of what to call in:
- Parking within 30′ of the approach to a stop sign.
- Parking or blocking within 15′ of a fire hydrant.
- Parking left wheel to curb. (cars parked facing against traffic).
- If a car blocks YOUR driveway. Some neighbors may permit people to block their OWN driveway.
- Illegal vending/sales questions in the immediate festival area.
- Please don’t put barriers in the street. It is public property and the police remove them.
- Restricted parking areas are prohibited parking areas for all persons.
- Immobilized cars should be moved out of restricted parking areas.
- Neighborhood call-in line, 512-970-8891 or 311.
Zilker Park And Barton Springs Pool Details
- Barton Springs Pool is open AT ALL TIMES during normal hours. The southgate lot is currently closed for construction use of the south side of the pool. Access and ADA parking to the pool during road closure times is via Mopac, enter the “permit parking lane.”
- Pool Parking: Available during normal business hours at pool. During road closures times, entry via Mopac using the permit parking only lane. Follow parking staff directions to parking at the park. On Run night, only ADA parkers will be allowed to the lower pool lot.
- Zilker Park – Rugby Field, Picnic Areas, parking lots, playscape (South of Barton Springs Road)
- Open daily until roads close (to allow cars to be removed safely before patrons arrive)
- The entire upper area of the Great Lawn will remain open. In addition, Auditorium Shores and Butler Park will be open at all times for park users