The following information was provided to our neighborhood association by the Austin Parks and Recreation Department Office of Special Events in preparation for the annual Zilker Kite Festival scheduled for Sunday, March 1:
Event Details and Closure Periods
- One day event – Sunday March 1, 2015
- Road closure schedule: www.austintexas.gov/ace
Zilker Park Open Areas And Barton Spring Pool Details
- Barton Springs Pool is currently closed for cleaning, and will be closed during this event.
- Robert E Lee Parking Lot – will be staffed for park trail users. Event parkers will NOT be able to park in this lot.
- Zilker Park – open at all times on the south side except on event day.
- Zilker Park – open on the north side up until approximately 2 pm on Saturday for load-in purposes. The park grounds are still open; users should park on the south side and use the pedestrian crosswalk. Lou Neff will be dedicated at that time to festival traffic for load in purposes.
- Auditorium Shores Middle Lawn, and Butler Park will be open at all times for park users.
Dedicated Neighborhood ROVING Patrol
APD officers have been scheduled for dedicated neighborhood ticketing/enforcement. Please call 311 as noted below to have a request sent over in real time to the event site.
Neighborhood Call-In Line: 311
The city has enhanced the way we are using 311. 311 will be sending all traffic/parking and sound complaints immediately to the event site City contacts in real time. Please have vehicle make/model and street address ready to report parking violations.
- NO PARKING SIGNAGE will be installed due to the increase in restricted parking areas, as well as allowing for time for corrections prior to the event commencing.
- These signs are valid upon installation, PLEASE ADHERE TO THE SIGNAGE.
HELPFUL TIP: Want to save parking near your house? Put your vehicle curbside, in the unsigned area of the road! Remember to face the correct direction of travel! Then your guests can use your driveway!
Examples of what to call in:
- Parking within 30′ of the approach to a stop sign.
- Parking or blocking within 15′ of a fire hydrant.
- Parking left wheel to curb. (cars parked facing against traffic).
- If a car blocks YOUR Some neighbors may permit people to block their OWN driveway.
- Illegal vending/sales questions in the immediate festival area.
Shuttles / Bike Parking
- Dedicated festival shuttles run from 2 locations. See KITE FESTIVAL WEBSITE FOR SCHEDULE/DETAILS.
- Bike to the event – bike rack is located at the rugby field.
- Parking at the park is NOT encouraged. It is limited and fills very early in the morning.
- EXTENSIVE illegal parking/towing patrols operate in the area neighborhoods.